I absolutely adore Pfeffernussen (pronounced ‘feffer-new-sen‘) at Christmas. They’re just such a yummy little spicy snack and perfect with a big mug of warm milk for those super cold nights in with your fave fluffy socks and big jumpers. They’re like a hug in a bite!
For those of you that don’t know what Pfeffernussen are, they are small German cookies that taste somewhat like a spiced gingerbread with a heavily peppery taste that is just to die for! They have a sort of hard exterior that has been coated with icing sugar and a softer interior.
The words ‘Pfeffer’ & ‘nussen’ literally translate to ‘Pepper nuts’.
These Paleo Pfeffernussen are so simple to make that you can do this with your little ones in a mixing bowl rather than with a food processor. They’ll love rolling them into balls before baking and then later dusting them with the icing sugar. Perfect!
Makes: 26 Paleo Pfeffernussen
Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking Time: 10-15 minutes
Please note that all cup measurements used are British cups and equivalent to 250ml.
1 cup/125g Sukrin Almond Flour
1.5 cups/225g tapioca flour
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
125g raw unsalted grass-fed butter (use 75g coconut oil for Vegan option)
1 cup/150g coconut sugar
1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
1 free-range egg (Vegans can substitute for a flax/chia egg replacer 1 tbsp: 3 tbsp water leave to ‘gel’ for 5 minutes)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp finely ground black pepper
1/2 cup Paleo Fragrant Spiced Faux Icing Sugar (for dusting)
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C.
- Combine all of the ingredients except for the Paleo Faux Icing Sugar into a food processor and process until the mixture comes together into a ball.
- Line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
- Using a tablespoon measure scoop a level scoop of dough and roll into a ball. Place the dough balls on the baking sheet 1.5-2″ away from each other to prevent them from sticking together. They don’t rise too much so don’t worry! You’ll be able to split the balls into two batches of 13.
- Cook for around 10-15 minutes or until the Pfeffernussen are fairly firm to the touch, golden brown and have cracks running through them.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 5-10 minutes until lukewarm to the touch. The warmth will help the icing sugar to cling all over to the Pfeffernussen.
- Place your Paleo Faux Icing Sugar into a deep container or bowl and toss the Pfeffernussen around individually until fully coated.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack completely.