This White Chocolate Turmeric Latte (a.k.a. Golden Milk) is my comfort drink, my bedtime soother, even my pain relief. You literally can’t go wrong with this as it’s ridiculously simple to make.
I didn’t want to call this a hot chocolate as… well… it isn’t one to me due to the fact that it isn’t made largely of milk, and it’s not quite a latte either for that reason so I opted for the name ‘tea’. I guess it is more of a tea as it is full of spice and flavour.
Some of you may know this (some of you may not) but I suffer from an autoimmune disease called Henoch Schonlein Purpura. It’s nothing too serious but when it flares up it can be incredibly painful. Since having my daughter Anya I have come out of remission and have been suffering from my illness for over a year now. I made a conscious decision to try not to take any painkillers and to carry on breastfeeding so I often have to figure out my own ways of pain management. This drink is my anti-inflammatory and analgesic.
Tumeric contains a powerful anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory curcumin. Curcumin can be used to help combat depression, Alzheimers, and arthiritis. it can also help to prevent heart disease. Although the levels of curcumin are fairly low in tumeric it is still beneficial to consume. I added in black pepper which aids in the absorption of curcumin into the bloodstream. I also added some ground cinnamon to help regulate blood sugar, cardamom, and root ginger for anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant purposes and some raw honey as it is healing, antibacterial and helps to counteract the bitterness of the tumeric. So as you can see this drink really will do you a whole world of good.
The raw grass-fed butter and coconut oil not only turn this into the perfect breakfast energy drink by increasing the nutritional density but xenical can also help to aid in weight loss, protect against mental health issues and also reduces inflammation.
I will often drink this a few times in the day (with or without the high fat and without the honey) as a form of pain relief and in the evening I add 1-2 tbsp of Great Lakes Collagen Hydrolysate which aids in a great nights sleep. In fact probably the best sleep that money can buy!
So go on give it a go!!!
Wanna mix it up a little? Why not try my Coconut, Lemon, and Turmeric Chia Pudding.
- 1 tbsp raw grass-fed butter (or sub with coconut oil)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or MCT oil
- 1 heaped tsp of cacao butter solids
- 1cm piece of root ginger
- 1 tsp ground tumeric or 1" piece fresh turmeric root
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Seeds of 2 green cardamom pods
- A generous pinch to ¼ tsp of finely ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp vanilla powder or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp raw honey (a few drops of stevia or 1 tsp maple syrup for Vegan option)
- Small cup of boiling water
- Dash of nut/ coconut milk or 1 tbsp coconut milk powder
- Place all of your ingredients into a blender and blend for 1 minute. Yes it really is that simple! If you are using something like a Nutribullet be sure to use ½ of the boiling water and then top up after blending as they are not suitable for hot liquids!