Chocolate and orange is one of my favourite chocolatey combos (and no doubt a lot of people’s), but throw in the cayenne pepper and this becomes super special! The avocado and coconut oil give you a hefty amount of heart healthy fats – more specifically the monounsaturated fatty acid known as ‘oleic acid’ which has been linked to reducing inflammation within the body and helping to protect against cancers. Avocados also contain high levels of potassium and vitamin K. The maca powder and cacao really give you a fantastic natural energy boost and somewhat of a mental buzz too, whilst the cayenne pepper helps to stimulate your metabolism. The fresh orange and Himalayan pink salt will also help with re-balancing your electrolytes.
I’ve added in some maple syrup to sweeten this recipe up a little, I use 2 tablespoons in mine or either leave it out completely but you could use up to 3 tablespoons or swap for raw honey, xylitol, or even stevia (as per the manufacturer’s instructions). You can even omit the sweetener completely if you wanted to.
I like to have this as my perfect pre- or post-workout snack – usually with an added scoop of my favourite clean protein powder (PurePharma’s PR3) blended through, if you’re vegan however I’d highly recommend using Sunwarrior’s Warrior Blend Protein as it has a full amino acid profile and is one of the cleanest and best vegan protein powders currently available on the market.
This Chocolate Avocado Mousse is suitable for both those following a Paleo or vegan diet and is great as a snack, dessert, or even as a cheeky chocolatey breakfast!
- 75g cacao paste (also known as cacao liquor/solids)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Seeds of 1 vanilla pod (or ¼ tsp vanilla powder)
- Flesh of 2 large ripe avocados/3 small ripe avocados (preferably chilled)
- ⅓ cup cacao powder
- ¼ cup maca powder
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2 small oranges (peeled)
- 2-3 tbsp maple syrup/raw honey
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- ¼-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (dependent upon taste)
- ¼ tsp fine Himalayan pink salt (if coarse grind)
- Place your cacao paste, coconut oil, and seeds of a vanilla pod into a bain marie on a low heat. Stir frequently with a spatula until the mixture is fully melted and remove from the heat. Place to one side to cool.
- In a food processor blend the remaining ingredients of your mousse until smooth. Be sure to scrape down the sides frequently to ensure that the ingredients become fully incorporated into the mix.
- Next pour in your melted cacao mix and blend again until smooth. Again scrape the sides regularly to ensure that everything gets processed.
- Either serve immediately into small ramekins or transfer into an air tight container and store in the fridge until chilled. If you are feeling brave then sprinkle some extra cayenne pepper on top too!
** Please note that all cup measurements used are British cups and thus equal to 250ml.