Kale has always been a firm fave of mine – kale chips, fried kale, blackened kale, you name it… As long as the word kale is in there I’m all game baby! My most recent love is raw cavolo nero – it just doesn’t get any better than that. And I know what you’re thinking – bleurgh soooo bitter – but you’re honestly mistaken! The key to a good raw kale salad is in the massaging. Yes you heard me right – massaging!
This Mixed Berry and Kale Summer Salad is a nutrient packed superfood salad that’s high in heart healthy fats and low in carbohydrates. Perfect for those following a keto diet.
Just a few minutes of massaging your kale with a little olive oil and salt turns this bitter and tough leafy green into a silky smooth and sweet little number perfect for a light summer salad. Throw in some berries, toasted nuts and seeds, and a generous drizzle of vinaigrette and you’ll be laughing. You can also leave your kale to marinate overnight in your dressing making it the perfect addition for an on the go mason jar salad.
My Mixed Berry and Kale Summer Salad is super low carb, packed full of good fats, and a moderate amount of protein. I used a little organic feta in mine but tofu/tempeh or even grilled chicken/white fish will all work well with this salad. The sweetness of the berries punches through the tangy vinaigrette and the saltiness of the feta balances the overall dish – it’s just a perfectly light salad that will keep you full until your next meal.
You can make your vinaigrette the traditional way or simply run it through a high-speed blender – I used my Froothie Optimum G2.1 which whizzes up pretty much anything like a dream!
As you can see I’ve included some nutritional info with my recipe – and you’ll be seeing more of this due to the fact that I have been following a Keto Paleo diet for the past month so tracking my macros has been imperative. This salad serves 1 but can also be split between 2 people as a nice little side dish.
- 100g cavolo nero/kale (washed and dried, thick stems removed (weight after trimming))
- ¼ avocado (diced)
- 15g blueberries
- 25g strawberries (hulled and sliced)
- 1 tbsp toasted almonds (chopped)
- 1 tbsp toasted pecans (chopped)
- 1 tbsp toasted pumpkin seeds
- 50g organic feta/tofu/tempeh/grilled chicken
- 50g courgette (spiralised or finely sliced)
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup fresh mint leaves
- 7 drops liquid stevia
- 1 tsp fine Himalayan pink salt (if coarse grind)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled)
- *Use only ¼ of the dressing in the final dish!
- In a skillet, toast the almonds, pecans, and pumpkin seeds until golden brown and fragrant. Set aside to cool.
- Next start by making your vinaigrette - simply place all of the ingredients into a high speed blender and set to one side.
- Next slice your cavolo nero into fine ribbons and place into a large bowl. Pour over 4 tbsp of your vinaigrette and massage the cavolo nero for 3-5 minutes until silky smooth.
- Add your blueberries, sliced strawberries, and diced avocado and gently toss together.
- Roughly chop your roasted nuts and sprinkle them over your salad along with your toasted pumpkin seeds.
- Finally stir through your cubed feta (or protein of choice) and your spiralised courgette.
Disclaimer: Please note that this is NOT a sponsored post. I am a Froothie Ambassador and was sent a Froothie Optimum G2.1 for review – all opinions are my own and 100% honest. The links provided of the blender are affiliate links which means if you buy an Optimum G2.1 using this link, it won’t cost you any extra, but I will get a small commission to help keep my blog up and running. If you’d like to know more, feel free to contact me.