I didn’t want to keep this one under wraps anymore. I love my veggies but I have noticed that nobody ever eats enough veggies when they are Paleo. All I ever see is meat with a tiny, negligible portion of veg on the side. So I thought maybe you guys could do with getting some greens down your gullet!
I have this great story book I used to read to my two older kiddies when they were much much younger (and now Anya) called Vegetable Glue. It is about a little girl who never eats her veggies and various body parts drop off because she doesn’t – she finds out that vegetables contain glue that keep all of your body parts stuck together. It really is great. But this book does actually have a brilliant point, the largest portion on your plate should always be veggies! I won’t write a whole lot of waffle here but if you want to know why you should eat your greens check out this link.
Now onto the dish itself! This is a much loved side dish in my house by everyone – my kids absolutely adore it! The best thing about this is it takes about 15 minutes to make without too much faffing around and the flavours are bold yet have a nice depth to them to keep your taste buds tantalised! As this is rather clean tasting you can pair it up with most food, it goes well with Asian dishes especially, and super well with fish.
So here it is my Paleo Lemon Cardamom Broccoli & Kale with Toasted Almonds, I hope you enjoy!
Serves: 4 people
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
3 tbsp coconut oil
3 cloves garlic (finely diced)
Seeds of 6 cardamom pods
3/4 tsp Himalayan pink salt
1 medium head of broccoli (approx. 350g)
250g kale (shredded)
Zest & juice of 1 lemon
- Start by preparing your almonds. Pre-heat your oven to 180C and evenly spread your almonds onto a baking sheet, it doesn’t have to be lined but if you’d prefer to it won’t cause any problems either. Place into the oven and cook for around 10 minutes (give or take a couple of minutes depending on your oven), but be sure to check a couple of times on them and give them a little stir about. They will be done when they are nice and golden brown (an aroma usually comes out of the oven when they’re ready).
- Start by chopping your broccoli into florets, and cut the nice meaty stem into round slices and then quarters.
- Peel and finely dice your garlic. In a wok (or large frying pan) melt your coconut oil on a medium to high heat. Place the garlic and cardamom seeds into the oil and fry for 30 seconds until the seeds begin to pop a little and the garlic is golden. Now add your broccoli and Himalayan pink salt. Fry the broccoli for a good 5-6 minutes being sure to turn it over until it is slightly charred on each side.
- Whilst your broccoli is cooking give your almonds a quick check and turn and place your shredded kale into a colander and wash it under warm water if you haven’t already. Give it a quick massage to really get the flavours going.
- Add your kale to the broccoli mix and stir evenly. Reduce to a low heat. Place a large saucepan lid on top of the vegetables and steam for 1 minute. Remove the lid and remove from the heat.
- Remove your almonds from the oven and leave to cool for a minute.
- Zest your lemon and stir the zest into the broccoli followed by the lemon juice.
- Roughly chop your almonds with a herb cutter or give a quick pulse in your food processor. Throw the almonds in and toss them about until evenly distributed. And there you have it! One tasty yet simple veggie dish!