I know this isn’t my typical vegan and Paleo kinda post, so for all of my vegan and vegetarian friends out there I am truly sorry! You will be happy to know however that I am working on a vegan gummy recipe!
These Paleo Blackcurrant & Licorice Gummies are a play on one of my favourite childhood sweets, okay they’re not crunchy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside but they certainly have the same flavour as those beautiful blackcurrant and licorice sweets you used to get in ye olde sweetshop but they don’t contain any processed sugars, are packed full of gut-healing nutrients, and they are super chewy!
You’ll also be pleased to know that these beauties will do your skin a whole host of good! Your skin will reap the benefits of the two amino acids proline and glycine – both of which boost the production of collagen. Gelatin can also help to protect your skin from the sun. So if you’re in your 30’s like me and want to fight the battle against ageing, make gelatin your best friend!
Yields: Roughly 4 blocks (of 6 small squares)
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup freeze-dried blackcurrant powder (sieve out the seeds first!)
1/4 cup grass-fed gelatin
1 tbsp raw honey
1 tbsp molasses (replace with raw honey if AIP)
1 1/4 tsp aniseed extract (replace with licorice extract if AIP)
1/4 tsp licorice powder
- Start by placing 1/2 cup of warm water in a bowl along with your gelatin to create your gelatin ‘bloom’. Leave to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- In a small saucepan add your remaining 1/2 cup warm water, blackcurrant powder, raw honey, and molasses. Bring the mixture to the boil and reduce to the lowest heat.
- Stir/whisk in your gelatin bloom until it becomes thin and the ingredients have fully combined. This will take about 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in your aniseed extract and licorice powder.
- Pour into your silicone mould and place into the fridge. Leave to set for 1-2 hours until it is firm!
- Removes the gummies and stuff your face!