I don’t know about you but I do love myself a bit of kale; kale crisps, curly kale, braised kale, kale juice, and of course a raw kale salad! I just couldn’t resist the combination of kale, orange, halloumi, and pistachios in one salad – just sooooo dreamy and refreshing!
I know what you are thinking – raw kale salad? Ughhh bitter! Ahhhh but you would be wrong my friends. Kale is very bitter in its raw form but all it needs is some good old fashioned sweet, tender lovin’ to get its juices flowing and becomes sweet, light, and smooth. The sweetness of the orange and the saltiness of the halloumi cheese is the perfect combo for a summer salad. I know that this isn’t strictly Paleo it is more primal, and it will work well with chicken or even some steamed fish if you don’t do dairy! For a Vegan option replace the halloumi with some olives and sprinkle 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast!
So here it is – my Kale, Orange, and Halloumi Salad with Pistachios!!! Enjoy!
Serves: 4-6 people
Prep Time: 15-20 mins
150g-200g kale (de-stalked, massaged, & chopped)
3 oranges (peeled & diced)
500g halloumi cheese (cubed) or 200g olives plus 1/4 cup nutritional yeast for a Vegan option!
50g activated pistachios
5 sprigs mint (de-stemmed & roughly chopped)
Juice & zest of 1 orange
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp raw honey (or coconut sugar for Vegan option)
1 clove garlic (minced)
1/4 tsp Himalayan pink salt
2 tbsp chia seeds
- Start by washing your kale under some warm water. Remove the larger fibrous spines from you kale and chop widthways.
- Massage the kale with your hands, rubbing the leaves together, for 5-10 minutes until it becomes wilted and almost silky – this will remove any bitterness from the kale. Transfer your kale into a large serving bowl.
- Add in your diced orange, halloumi cheese, activated pistachios, and roughly chopped mint. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl combine the rest of your ingredients, except for your chia seeds, and whisk together until you have a dressing.
- Pour the dressing over your salad, add your chia seeds and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Plate up and enjoy!