I am LOVING Chocolate Week so far!!!
This spicy Paleo Chilli Chai Chocolate Fondant will warm you up in this nasty, miserable, ice-cold weather. When asking my fellow Paleo followers for some Chocolate Week requests, the grand Paleo Virtus (check out his blog here) requested something with chilli and chocolate. I thought this would be perfect.
I had never made a fondant until today, so as you can imagine I am quite happy with the outcome and actually really surprised at how easy it is! A couple of weeks ago a good friend of mine asked me to make them a fondant recipe and it seemed to work out ok so it has been stuck in my head since then. I just had to make one!
Anyways, I have always been a huge fan of chai spices, the aroma is just so beautiful, the taste so complex and there is something so warming about the combination which makes me crave it even more. The best thing about this recipe is that you will have left over spice mix! I add 1/4 tsp to my hot chocolate and coffee to spice it up!
You’ll need some pudding moulds, I bought these 7.5cm moulds from Ocado. You could quite easily use ramekins too but I think moulds are best.
Now what you’ve all been waiting for … the recipe!
Makes: 4 small fondants
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 8-12 minutes
For the fondant:
125g unsalted raw grass-fed butter
125g 90% chocolate (if you use cacao you probably want to the sugar by at least 25g)
5 tsp chai spice mix (see below)
3/4-1 tsp red chilli powder
2 egg yolks
125g coconut sugar
2 tbsp tapioca flour
1 tbsp almond flour
For the chai spice mix:
2 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp ground nutmeg/mace
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
3 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp cacao powder (for dusting)
- Grease your pudding moulds with a little butter or coconut oil. Dust the inside with cacao powder. Cover the top with cling film and shake the cacao powder about until it’s evenly distributed. This is a lot faster and it’s much cleaner.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees (gas mark 4).
- Place the chocolate, butter, chai spice mix & chilli powder in a bain-marie, on a gentle heat until fully melted. Leave to cool for 5 mins.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, egg yolks and coconut sugar.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into egg mix and whisk until fully blended.
- Fold in the flours.
- Spoon equal amounts into the pudding moulds.
- Cook for about 8-12 minutes or until just set (so they have a nice crust on top but wobble when you shake them).
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 30-60 seconds, turn over onto a plate and serve straight away! Gotta be quick with these bad boys as you don’t want them to cook for too long and for you to miss out on the ooey gooey-ness!