So… whilst I was making dinner I went into my fruit and vegetable cupboard (yes I have a fruit & veg cupboard!) I saw that the bramley apples I had were starting to go bad… I suddenly craved pie. I just wanted a big fat slice of Paleo pie goodness. So I threw together this little thing! The surprise is ummm chocolate!
Makes: 8 slices
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20-25 minutes
For the pie crust:
3/4 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup almond flour
3 tbsp coconut flour
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar (with the mother)
50g raw grass-fed butter (for Vegan option replace with coconut oil and remove egg!)
2 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tbsp coconut oil
Pinch of Himalayan pink salt
For the pie filling:
1.5 bramley apples (chopped)
1.5 sticks rhubarb (sliced)
25g raw grass-fed butter (for Vegan option replace wtih half the amount of coconut oil)
2 tbsp raw honey
2 tbsp coconut sugar
Small handful of raisins and sultanas
2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp water
10g dark chocolate (at least 90%) chopped into chips
For the topping:
50g pecans (crushed)
2 tbsp raw honey melted
1 tbsp maple syrup
- For the pie crust combine all of the ingredients into a food processor until the pastry starts to turn into bread crumbs.
- Remove the pastry dough and flatten into a lightly greased 8″ loose based pie tin.
- ‘Knucle in’ the dough working from the middle outwards until you have a 5mm thick crust which is evenly distributed. Cut off any excess overhang.
- Place the pie crust into the freezer whilst you prepare your filling.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees (roughly Gas Mark 4).
- For the filling place all of the ingredients except for the dark chocolate into a medium sized heavy bottomed pan. Heat on a low heat until the butter and sugar has dissolved and cover with a lid. Cook until the ingredients have softened. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Remove your pie crust from the freezer and pierce holes into the base with a fork.
- Pour in your filling and cook for roughly 15 minutes until golden brown and hot in the middle.
- Remove from the oven. Insert the chocolate chips into various places within the pie for your ‘surprise’.
- Sprinkle your crushed pecans over the top, and pour over your melted honey and maple syrup.
- Return to the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Remove and leave to cool before eating! That’s the hard part for sure!
- To remove the pie from the tin place on top of a can of coconut milk (or jam jar) and gently push the fluted rim downward. It should just slip right off!