This Grasshopper Pie is super easy to make and super minty too! It’s definitely a bit different from the original due to the agar agar but I wanted to make this a nice nutritious treat that was quite easy to adapt for Vegans too.
Makes: Roughly 10-12 slices
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
For the pie crust:
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp him pink salt
1 tbsp coconut oil
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1 tbsp raw grass-fed butter (can sub for coconut oil for a Vegan option)
50g cacao solids
1/2 cup cacao powder
Pinch of Himalyan pink salt
For the filling:
1/4 cup agar agar
1 tin coconut milk (400ml)
1/3 cup melted raw honey
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp peppermint extract
1/2 cup cashews & macadamias (soaked for at least 4 hours)
1 courgette (peeled)
1 tbsp coconut oil
4 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 tsp spirulina
For the topping:
5g grated cacao
- Combine all of your pie crust ingredients into a food processor and blend until it starts to combine together. If you can squeeze the mixture beteween your fingers and it holds quite well then it is done.
- Grease a 9″ fluted loose based pie tin thoroughly (or alternatively line a 9″ springform cake tin).
- Remove the dough from your food processor and begin to press the dough into the tin, working from the centre outwards and up toward the rim. You want to try and make your crust roughly 1/2″ to 3/4″ thick. Trim off any excess overhang.
- Place your pie crust into the freezer and chill.
- For the filling place you soaked cashews & macadamias into the food processor and process for 5 minutes.
- In a medium sized non-stick pan place your coconut milk, raw honey, coconut oil, maple syrup and heat until everything has melted.
- Begin to whisk in the agar agar until melted.
- Simmer the mix on a low heat, whisking frequently and leave to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and pour into the food processor. Process for another 2 minutes until smooth.
- Add the courgette, vanilla extract, peppermint extract, and spirulina and blend until smooth.
- Remove the pie crust from the freezer and pour in your filling.
- Return to the freezer for 1 hour.
- Add your grated cacao and serve once set!!!