Borscht, borscht, lovely, spicy, warming, snuggly, yummy borscht. If you don’t like this, then you are mad. Absolutely delicious!
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30-35 minutes
For the Paleo borscht:
2 medium beetroots 300g (3/4 diced, 1/4 shredded)
2 small onions shredded
1/4 cabbage shredded (red or white)
2 sticks celery
1 carrot diced
1 sweet potato peeled diced
1/2 bulb garlic
50g grass-fed raw butter (can be substituted for 25g coconut oil or 4 tbsp olive oil)
3 tsp allspice
2 bay leaves
1 tsp hot smoked paprika
1 tsp ground black pepper
1.4l vegetable stock
3 tbsp agar agar
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar (with the ‘mother’)
Pinch Himalayan pink salt
1 tsp coconut sugar
For the Paleo soured cream:
1/8 tin (20ml) coconut cream
1/4 tub (62.5g) coconut yogurt
Juice 1/2 lemon
1.5 tsp apple cider vinegar (with the ‘mother’)
- Wearing rubber gloves (trust me you do not want to turn beet red!), peel and dice 3/4 of your beetroot. Set aside the remaining 1/4 beetroot.
- Shred your onions, cabbage and remaining 1/4 beetroot separately and set aside.
- Dice your celery, carrot and peeled sweet potato.
- Peel and crush your garlic cloves.
- Melt your butter (or oil) on a low heat in a large heavy bottomed pan until bubbling.
- Add your allspice, bay leaves, garlic and onions and cook until softened.
- Add your hot smoked paprika, ground black pepper, diced beetroot, celery, carrot and sweet potato. Stir until thoroughly coated in butter and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add a small amount of stock and return to the heat for another 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining stock and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the agar agar, shredded cabbage and beetroot. Cook for a further 8 minutes or until all of the vegetables are tender.
- Add your vinegar, salt and coconut sugar. Mix thoroughly and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- For the Paleo Soured Cream, combine all of the ingredients and whisk thoroughly! Simple.
- Serve and enjoy!