Ok so in case you were all wondering what the hell Pico de Gallo is, it’s basically a salsa! Yup it is salsa, but a raw salsa, and if you were wondering it is pronounced peeko-de-guy-yo (sorry for my rubbish phonetics)… So this recipe is as simple as they get, it takes a modern yet fruity twist on the Spanish classic which typically contains tomatoes, onions, habaneros or jalapenos, lime juice, coriander, and salt. So just give it a whirl and let me know if you think it is as yummy as I think it is. It is perfect paired with some steamed fish, some guacamole in a Paleo wrap, or just simply on its own.
This gorgeous Pico de Gallo is full of skin healthy foods, I mean really, just check out this list:
- Mango – Mango is rich in vitamin A which keeps your skin soft and supple by encouraging collagen and elastin production. It is also high in vitamin E which is great for your skin but also great for your libido! Oh aye! Mango is also high in flavonoids ,and beta carotene which is great for eye health.
- Watermelon – The reason why I tell you to leave the rind of the watermelon on is because the rind contains citrulline. Citrulline boosts libido and supports heart and immune health. The watermelon flesh itself contains vitamins A, B6, and C, potassium, lycopene, antioxidants, and amino acids. The lycopene also blocks out UV rays from the sun.
- Raspberries – Raspberries are high in antioxidants, in fact they have 10 times the amount than that of tomatoes. They are anti inflammatory and also contain manganese which is great for bone health, as well as pre-menstural symptoms.
- Lime – Limes are full of vitamins A and C, not only this they are actually high in calcium! Lime zest is higher in vitamin C than the flesh itself and it contain Hesperidin which improves bone health.
- Red Chillies – Red chillies are high in vitamin A, C and of course lycopene. Red chillies contain capsaicin which boosts your metabolism which means it could help to aid weight loss and fat burning within the body.
Serves: 4 people
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
1/8 medium/large watermelon (peeled & diced, but leave the white rind on!)
1 large ripe mango (diced)
Large handful of raspberries (Berry Jewel are my fave type!)
1 large white or red onion
Small handful of fresh coriander (roughly chopped)
1 red chilli (finely chopped)
Juice of 2 limes
Zest of 1-2 limes
1 clove garlic (finely diced)
Generous pinch of Himalayan pink salt (no more than 1/4 tsp!)
1 tbsp avocado or extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- Chop all of your ingredients as mentioned above, combine everything into a bowl, stir until fully combined, and serve! Wooo! Easy peasy!!!