The beauty of spiralised dishes is that they only take a matter of minutes to make and you can mix things up every time. I’d suggest getting a vertical spiraliser such as the Benriner as they are so much easier to use and less likely to break. I don’t know if I’m the only one, but I’ve destroyed a couple of horizontal spiralisers with the deathly clutch of my big man hands and burly biceps. Anyways I shall now talk about something a lot nicer than my muscles – the recipe…
This Creamy Avocado and Goji Paleo Fettuccine is simply gorgeous; ribbons of delicate yet crisp courgette, creamy but zesty avocado sauce, crunchy seeds, and dreamily sweet and chewy goji berries. Could it get any better than this? I think not!
Pasta is definitely something that I miss now that I’m Paleo (albeit a rather distant memory). I like to make my own Paleo pasta but I do find it rather time consuming and so it is a once in a while affair – plus it’s pretty high carb too and full or starches which sometimes don’t agree with me either.
You’ll need a spiraliser (or potato peeler) and a whole lot of willpower to make this recipe – but not a unicorn or super powers!
- 2 large courgettes (that's zucchini to my American readers!)
- 1 large ripe avocado
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp fresh basil or fresh herbs of your choice (optional)
- ½-1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (with the mother)
- 1 garlic clove (peeled)
- ½ tsp fine Himalayan pink salt (if coarse grind)
- ¼ cup/60ml water
- ¼ cup mixed seeds (preferably activated)
- ¼ cup goji berries
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Start by cutting your courgettes in half and trimming off the ends - you can keep you the stem on and use this to anchor into your spikes before you start - this will minimise wastage. Start spiralising your courgettes, if you're unarmed and really patient you could use a potato peeler to create some more tagliatelle type strips. You'll need to use the fettuccine blade which is essentially a straight edge blade with no serrations that creates wide ribbons. Set aside your fettuccine in a large mixing bowl until needed.
- Using either an immersion blender or a Nutribullet blend together your avocado, extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, fresh herbs, apple cider vinegar, garlic clove, and Himalayan pink salt until fully blended. Then blend in your ¼ cup water until smooth.
- Stir your avocado sauce through your fettuccine, toss in your mixed seeds, goji berries, and chia seed - et voila! Serve!