Have you ever had one of those days when you really just need to devour something quickly for a little burst of much needed energy but really can’t be bothered making anything? These Chocolate Orange Paleo Energy Bon Bons are totally the answer – you just whiz a huge batch up in minutes and refrigerate until solid. The great thing about these is that they are also portable, bite-sized snacks so if you’re on the way to the gym, work, or your little one needs a tasty little treat in their lunchbox you can just grab and go!
These Chocolate Orange Paleo Energy Bon Bons are bite sized energy bursts of toffee, chocolate, orange, and spirulina. Perfect for those on the go.
I’ve called these bon bons because the texture reminds me of a traditional bon bon, ever so slightly softer but still harder than a raw brownie. I’ve used spirulina for a little B-vitamin, mineral, chlorophyll, and calcium boost, chia seeds for omega-3s and 6s, and maca powder for extra energy. You can’t taste the spirulina in these at all but rather a toffee and chocolate orange flavour that will transport you to heaven.
Although these can be eaten at any time in the process they are best served after being refrigerated (or even frozen) as they are a lot tougher in texture – much like a traditional toffee bon bon.
- 1 cup medjool dates (pitted)
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- ½ cup ground almonds
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1-2 tsp spirulina powder
- 1 tsp maca powder
- ½ tsp orange extract
- A few drops organic sweet orange oil (food grade)
- 4 tbsp cacao powder
- Place all of the ingredients into the bowl of your food processor and blitz until the mixture forms a smooth ball. Be sure to periodically scrape down the sides with a silicone spatula to ensure that all of the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Remove the mixture and roll into small balls. Place your cacao powder reserved for dusting into a tupperware box (or bowl covered with cling film). Add your energy balls, seal with the lid, and shake until the balls are fully coated in cacao powder.
- Place into a sealed container and refrigerate for 1-2 hours until solid. Store in the refrigerator and consume within 1 week.