I’ve had BYBI Beauty on my radar since they first launched back in 2017 but I’ve been so wrapped up with home life and work that I almost always never spend any money on products for myself. Now that Anya has started school I’ve been getting back to the essence of what my blog started out as – a green lifestyle blog. So, I’ve been e-mailing clean beauty companies like there’s no tomorrow in hopes I can collaborate and get back into the swing of things. I was delighted when the BYBI team agreed to send me out a selection of their wonderful products, including the newly relaunched Babe Balm 2.0.
I find Dominika and Elsie so unbelievably inspirational – what started out as a passion shared between 2 full time working friends turned into a flourishing business in less than 2 years.
With the green beauty world growing bigger every year I’m hoping that reviews like this arm you all with the information that you need to pick the right products for your skin and your lifestyle needs. Thankfully BYBI is a pretty universal brand that will work for most but I’ve let you know what to do in the instances where things might need little tweaks. I was so happy to be sent out 3 products from the BYBI Beauty range; Detox Dust, Babe Balm 2.0 (the new improved version), and the Lip Kit containing their Buffer lip scrub and Plumper lip balm. Below I’ll talk about the pros and cons of each product as well as dissecting 5 of my favourite listed ingredients to find out what skin benefits you can expect from each product. Before I get into my review I think it’s best to know a little about the BYBI founders themselves first.
In March 2015 Dominika and Elsie launched their clean beauty blog, Clean Beauty Co. as a reaction to the lack of information provided by mainstream beauty brands – labels were a minefield and not knowing what they were putting on their skin led them to research further. They began to see a gap in the market and in 2016 started selling their very first hand formulated products on their site. In January 2017 they launched the book Clean Beauty published by one of the UK’s biggest publishers – Penguin. Throughout their clean beauty journey they studied with Formula Botanica and in February 2017 BYBI – By Beauty Insiders (pronounced Bye-Bee in case you were wondering!) was born.
I find Dominika and Elsie so unbelievably inspirational – what started out as a passion shared between 2 full time working friends turned into a flourishing business in less than 2 years. It’s insane to try and wrap my head around but I just can’t help but be utterly amazed. Now they continue to improve their products, formulate new ones, and continue to shine a light on mainstream beauty formulations, empowering us to take control of what we put on our skin.
All of BYBI’s products are made from 100% natural, vegan, and cruelty-free ingredients that you can pronounce, with biodegradable sugarcane packaging, with the exception of a few products that come in glass bottles. Just recently they relaunched their glass bottles, ditching the old labels to print directly onto the glass, making them easier to recycle. Seriously is there anything that these ladies can’t do?!
Oh, and because the ladies at BYBI are super generous you can snag 25% off the full range by entering the code ‘GREEN25’ at the checkout. (Please note that this excludes gift sets and bundles as these items are already discounted.)
BYBI’s Detox Dust was the one product I was desperate to try, alongside Babe Balm of course. There’s something about that frosted glass bottle that screams “BUY ME”. So, when I went to crack it out of the bottle I was horrified by the smell. It just smells stale. I don’t know how else to explain it. I know it’s not stale but it’s just not the scent of something I want to put on my face for a good 15 minutes at a time. But, how did it perform?
If you’re over 30 or suffer from any dry patches I’d highly recommend using a humectant like raw honey (or agave if you’re vegan) to help lock some moisture in.
Once mixed together with other things – I’ve tried herbal tea, hibiscus tea, yoghurt, raw honey, and agave nectar – the smell was nowhere to be, well, smelled. It mixed together like a dream with practically anything and applied really easily to my face. When I used Detox Dust on its own with just water I found it to be a little too drying, and yes it smelled awful, but it did clear up my complexion nicely and had definitely sloughed away those dead skin cells, but I wasn’t super glowy. If you’re over 30 or suffer from any dry patches I’d highly recommend using a humectant like raw honey (or agave if you’re vegan) to help lock some moisture in. What I really loved about the mask was that even though I left it for a good 10 to 15 minutes it didn’t dry onto my skin to the point that it was cracking, but it certainly did tighten my skin and that sensation lasted for well over an hour. Any dryness I felt after moisturising I would apply a small amount of Babe Balm to counteract it. So, if you’re looking to brighten your complexion and lose those wrinkles I’d seriously give Detox Dust a whirl.
Take a look below for more information on the ingredients:
Ingredients: Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour, Kaolin, Charcoal Powder, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Shell Powder, Eleutherococcus Senticosus (Siberian Ginseng) Root Extract, Nelumbo Nucifera, (Lotus) Seed Powder, Papain (Papaya Enzyme), Cymbopogon Martini (Palmarosa) Oil, and Ribes Nigrum (Black Currant) Fruit Extract.
- Oat Kernel Flour – Oats were used in skincare as early as 2000 BC in ancient Egypt! They contain polysaccharide which will turn gelatinous when mixed with water, leaving a protective film on the skin, helping to lock moisture in. They also contain a natural antibiotic polyphenol produced by the plant called avenanthramide, which helps to soothe and calm the skin.
- Kaolin – Kaolin clay cleanses the skin by absorbing excess oil and is rich in minerals. It helps to keep the moisture in the skin but still strip away any impurities meaning you can kiss those blackheads goodbye without expect your skin to produce lots of oil after. It’s a fab and gentle exfoliator.
- Charcoal Powder – Activated charcoal–when used topically binds to dirt and draws it out of your pores, making them less visible. It will also fight off acne-causing germs and reduce inflammation leaving a brighter complexion.
- Siberian Ginseng Root Extract – Ginseng is packed full of phytonutrients that help to protect the skin from environmental stressors and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It also helps to firm and tighten the skin. It also helps to balance the oil production of your skin so if you’re dry, sensitive, or oily it will help to level this out.
- Lotus Seed Powder – If you suffer from dry or flaky skin then lotus root will be your hero – it provides instant hydration to your skin and also moisturises the skin improving its elasticity, complexion, and also helps to fade dark spots and wrinkles. Like ginseng, it aids in balancing the oil production of the skin.
Dull, dry, and lacklustre looking face? Pick yourself up a jar of Detox Dust direct from BYBI Beauty for £22.00 and make your skin glow. Don’t forget to enter the code ‘GREEN25’ at the checkout for 25% off the full BYBI range. Offer excludes gift sets and bundles.
Where do I start with this amazing gold-coloured balm?! The BYBI Babe Balm has THE most amazing scent – it’s subtle but it’s sort of tropical and I guess it is floral although I felt like it was slightly more fruity in scent, maybe because of the vanilla. I really love the smell but I still kinda wish that the Monoi extract came through stronger because it’s one of my favourite scents. I might be showing my age here, but Babe Balm really reminds me of a non-toxic version of Elizabeth Arden’s Eight Hour Cream – you can quite literally use it for anything! Dry elbows? Babe Balm. Scaly feet? Babe Balm? Split-ends? Babe Balm. Dry face? Ba… you get where I’m going here.
If I could only recommend one product to you all it would be Babe Balm, it’s deliciousness for your skin, body, and even your hair. Its versatility and affordability make it something that’s easy to obtain for anyone
I received the older formula which is supposed to be a lot thicker than the latest Babe Balm 2.0. (linked above as the older formula is no longer available) which now comes in a smaller tube of 30ml and is said to be lighter and creamier in texture to aid the absorption of the product’s amazing ingredients. To be honest, I didn’t find the old formula that thick and I think I’d still love it if it were thinner but I’ll just have to wait and find out. I actually can’t imagine it getting any better than it is already.
Babe Balm is an amazing multi-use product, it’s super nourishing and I’ve used it as an overnight face treatment, a cleansing balm, a hair treatment, a serum to pop on my ends before blow-drying, a glossy lip balm, and even an on the go highlight. I’ve even slathered my feet in it, popped some socks on and gone to sleep to wake up with smooth feet. This product is truly amazing and great for all year round but particularly now that it’s autumn, and winter isn’t too far off, it’s now my staple product that I can’t go anywhere without.
But don’t take my word for it – take a look at the amazing ingredients below:
Ingredients: Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Rhus Verniciflua Peel Cera, Squalane, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Caryocar Brasiliense Fruit Oil. Camellia Oleifera Seed Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Hibiscus Sabdariffa Seed Oil, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Tocopherol, Vanilla Planifolia, Calendula Officinalis Flower, Distarch Phosphate, Gardenia Tahitensis Flower Extract, Ubiquinone, Citric Acid, Anthocyanins.
- Shea Butter – Shea butter is rich in oleic (omega-9) fatty acids, vitamin A, and antioxidant-rich cinnamic acid which has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. Shea butter is super healing and fights a whole host of skin ailments from dermatitis, sunburn, insect bites, blemishes, eczema, wrinkles to even fighting muscle pain and fatigue.
- Camellia Seed Oil – Camellia oil has been used in Japan for centuries – to nourish, moisturise, and protect the skin and hair. It has a higher oleic acid content than olive oil by 10% and is also rich in vitamin E.
- Hibiscus Seed Oil – Hibiscus has been dubbed as ‘nature’s botox’ – I can verify this – I have been drinking hibiscus tea for years and swear it’s helped me stay youthful. Hibiscus seed oil is high in linoleic (omega-6) and oleic fatty acids that help to heal wounds and form healthy skin cells. Combined with the high levels of vitamin E it will help to even out the skin tone and keep skin hydrated.
- Pequi Fruit Oil – Pequi (pronounced pay-key) oil is extracted from a rare Brazilian fruit. It has a carotenoid-rich yellow flesh that contains lots of vitamins A and E, antioxidants to fight the ageing process, and oleic and palmitic acids – both of which help to replenish the skin’s lost lipids helping to restore its elasticity.
You can snag the long-lasting Babe Balm for just a modest £18, and believe me, it will last you for a while! Just head on over to BYBI to buy. Don’t forget to enter the code ‘GREEN25’ at the checkout for 25% off the full BYBI range. Offer excludes gift sets and bundles.
The BYBI Lip Kit comes with 2 full-sized lip products their Buffer – a sugar-based lip scrub, and Plumper – a plumping lip balm. Both usually retail at £9 each so by buying the kit you save yourself £2 and you’ll also get a cute little drawstring bag to carry them around in. It makes the perfect stocking filler so take note!
Buffer smells like a dream – if cinnamon rolls are your kinda thing then you’ll love slathering this all over your lips. It’s so simple to use – wet your lips, massage, rinse off with warm water, dry and then pat on some lip balm, or BYBI’s Plumper for the best results. When you first pop the scrub on to your lips you’ll feel a slight warming sensation thanks to the cinnamon leaf oil and it’s so comforting. You can instantly feel it boosting the blood supply to your lips. At first, I didn’t think there was enough sugar in there to even slough away any dead skin cells but when I rinsed the scrub off, holy moly my lips were super soft and a little bit plump too! I think that was thanks to the strawberry fruit extract but I’m no expert.
Take a look below to find out a little more about Buffer’s amazing ingredients:
Buffer Ingredients: Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Sucrose (Brown Sugar), Agave Tequilana Extract, Prunus Avium (Sweet Cherry) Seed Oil, Rhus Verniciflua (Fruit Wax) Peer Cera, Fragaria Ananassa (Strawberry) Fruit Extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Eugenol ** Naturally Occurring in Essential Oils, Citric Acid, Cinnamomum Zeylanicum (Cinnamon) Leaf Oil, and Benzyl Benzoate.
- Sweet Almond Oil – Almond oil is great for deep cleansing the skin but at the same time it is brilliant at relieving dry, flaky, and sore skin by gently moisturising without irritation. Combined with wax it helps to form a long-lasting protective layer over damaged skin.
- Brown Sugar – We all know that sugar is great to exfoliate with but did you know that it contains glycolic acid? Glycolic acid is an alpha-hydroxy acid that helps lift away dead skin cells and impurities encouraging cell turnover and firming the skin. Once exfoliated your skin has the ability to soak in moisture at a higher rate.
- Agave Tequilana Extract – Agave extract provides a silky silicone-like feel and helps to lift and firm fine lines and wrinkles. It’s also anti-microbial, anti-bacterial, and anti-inflammatory.
- Sweet Cherry Seed Oil – Cherry seed oil is rich in antioxidants, plus vitamins A and E. It’s also high in oleic and linoleic acids creating a skin barrier helping to repair damaged skin whilst alpha eleostearic acid provides a UV barrier. But it doesn’t stop there – packed with phytosterols and ß-sitosterol it helps to reduce inflammation and irritation and improve the turnover of skin cells.
- Fruit Wax – This wax is made from the sap from the fruits of the verniciflua rhus tree, which are then cooked and filtered. This is a great vegan alternative to beeswax and has a lighter and softer texture. It contains palmitic acid, stearic acid, and heneicosanoic acid. These acids all act as emulsifiers and emollients, helping to keep moisture locked into the skin.
Oooh Plumper, I was so excited to try this product. Even though I have pretty big lips my top lip I always feel needs a bit of extra help and a good lip plumper helps to plump out all of the little lines on your lips making them look fuller and juicier. Although the tube says to use just a pea-sized amount of product I felt like that was just a little too much so I used more of a very small petit pois sized amount. Straight away my lips started to feel tingly and cool thanks to the peppermint leaf oil and within a minute the fine lines around my mouth and the natural lines within my lips plumped up a bit.
Plumper seems to hit the balance – you get a nice full effect and a gorgeous gloss, it’s subtle and plump but in a natural way and I think now I’m almost 35 I don’t want Jessica Rabbit lips.
It’s not really the world’s best lip plumper but it’s not the worst either. The thing is, in the past when I’ve used lip plumpers that really plump up my mouth it’s left my skin almost burnt to a crisp and my lips pretty much just started to get flaky. Plumper seems to hit the balance – you get a nice full effect and a gorgeous gloss, it’s subtle and plump but in a natural way and I think now I’m almost 35 I don’t want Jessica Rabbit lips. One thing that really stunned me was that my lipstick went on so well and my lips looked luscious.
Take a look below at the amazing benefits of these beautiful natural ingredients:
Plumper Ingredients: Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Rhus Verniciflua (Fruit Wax) Peel Cera, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Mentha Arvensis (Peppermint) Leaf Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Blood Orange) Peel Oil, Capsicum Frutescens (Chilli) Oil, Cinnamomum Zeylanicum (Cinnamon) Leaf Oil, Tocopherol, Limonene ** Naturally Occurring in Essential Oils, Linalool ** Naturally Occurring in Essential Oils, Citral ** Naturally Occurring in Essential Oils, Geraniol ** Naturally Occurring in Essential Oils, and Citric Acid.
- Castor Seed Oil – Castor seed oil is an eco-friendly, biodegradable oil, that you’ve probably heard your nana or mama tell you about how it helps to induce labour or help you poop but it’s also pretty great at looking after your skin too. It contains undecylenic acid which is germicidal and possesses disinfectant properties. It’s also great for treating chapped lips.
- Grape Seed Oil – Grape seed oil contains flavonoids, hydroxy acid, polyphenols, and vitamin E. These all help to fight the ageing process and support your lips’ elasticity. Grapeseed oil is a light moisturiser that penetrates the skin easily helping to treat chapped lips.
- Carnauba Wax – Carnauba wax creates a protective barrier that helps lips retain moisture and is softer than beeswax and a lot less sticky, so you don’t need to worry about your hair blowing into your mouth and sticking there. It also doesn’t clog your pores and provides a naturally glossy sheen. Poifect.
- Peppermint Leaf Oil – Peppermint leaf oil helps to heal cracked, dry lips, and provides a soothing and cooling effect due to the menthol contained within it. The oil also causes vasodilatation (stimulation of the circulation under the skin) and creates a plumping effect making your lips appear fuller.
- Chilli Oil – Chilli oil is enriched with vitamins and antioxidants that increase collagen production and helps to reduce wrinkles, acne scars, and pigmentation. It also provides a short-lived plumping effect by causing slight irritation and vasodilatation just like peppermint and cinnamon oil do.
BYBI’s Lip Plumping Kit is available to buy directly from their site at just a super cheap £16. What you waiting for?! Don’t forget to enter the code ‘BYBI10’ at the checkout for 10% off the full BYBI range.
If you’re looking to embrace the journey to green beauty heaven then BYBI will stun you with their sustainable, ethical products made from natural and organic ingredients that are good enough to eat and 100% cruelty-free – and let’s not forget that their packaging is totally biodegradable and recyclable too.
BYBI is a forward-thinking brand driven by 2 major boss babes and I honestly can’t wait to see what’s coming in the future for them and for us as consumers. These ladies have brought clean beauty to the mainstream – you’ll find them stocked at Urban Outfitters and ASOS.
I loved all of the products, Babe Balm being my favourite and Detox Dust being my least fave, I just don’t think it lives up to the rest and if you’re used to making your own clay masks at home like I am you won’t find it special enough for the price tag. But if you’re new to all-natural masking this will make things so much easier for you – just having a product that’s all blended together at hand with simple instructions will take away any learning you’ve got to do.
If I could only recommend one product to you all it would be Babe Balm, it’s deliciousness for your skin, body, and even your hair. Its versatility and affordability make it something that’s easy to obtain for anyone and who wants to carry 5 million bottles, tubes, and pots in their handbag? Not me?! Even Anya demands her Babe Balm to be applied to her squishy little face before school and after her evening shower or bath and it’s too cute to handle. Just buy a tube now, just do it god damn it!
BYBI is a forward-thinking brand driven by 2 major boss babes and I honestly can’t wait to see what’s coming in the future for them and for us as consumers. These ladies have brought clean beauty to the mainstream – you’ll find them stocked at Urban Outfitters and ASOS. Even my 13-year-old daughter knows what Babe Balm is and who BYBI are. That alone is something I will be eternally grateful for as a mother of 2 girls. I know what I’m getting them for Christmas this year for sure! And what am I getting myself for Christmas? BYBI’s skin-nourishing Supercharge Serum and moisture-locking Mega Mist of course!
Have you tried BYBI’s amazing product range? If so drop me a comment below. For more clean and green beauty posts click here and to keep up to date with my blog posts and delicious recipes be sure to sign up for my newsletter.
DISCLAIMER: Please note that this is NOT a sponsored post. I was sent products from BYBI for my own personal use and to write a review if I wished. All opinions are my own and 100% honest. If you buy anything from the BYBI site I will not be at any personal gain. If you’d like to know more, feel free to contact me.